What is a Mantra?
I'm talking about Kundalini mantras here. A mantra is like magic words that connect us to a deeper place, deep within us...they are the conversations of the mind with the soul...this is the essence of Mantra. Mantra is the scientific use of sound to affect consciousness; also called “Mantra Yoga”. Next to breathing, the use of mantra is one of the most important aspects of the practice of Kundalini yoga. MAN means mind. TRA means to tune the vibration. Mantra is a sound current which tunes and controls mental vibration. Yogi Bhajan tells us that Mantra Yoga is perhaps one of the most ancient ways of self realization. The ancient sages describe Mantra as a seed, which when ripe flowers the Divine within you.
Mantras are actual formulas that work according to physical and metaphysical laws. When repeating the mantra (aloud) it restructures the patterns in the mind that allow the experience. When we have silence, it allows us to be aware of the many experiences of the mind.
Chanting mantra either silently or aloud is a conscious method for controlling and directing your mind. Attitudes and beliefs like happiness, sorrow, joy, and regret are vibratory frequencies of the mind – thought waves. These thought waves determine what kind of program your mind plays. Those beliefs and attitudes that we choose to hold on to become our vibration.
When we chant mantra, we are choosing to invoke the positive power contained in the syllables of that particular mantra. Chanting sets in motion the vibrations to bring about the effect. It doesn’t matter if we understand the meaning of the sounds or not.
Correct pronunciation of these ancient Kundalini Yoga Words, vibrate different parts of the roof of the mouth, touching on meridian points, balancing and stimulating different parts of the body and brain, and listening to the sound inside you, plus how many minutes or hours a person chants, all combines to bring you safety to inner states of awareness (enlightenment) and change. Read these ancient sacred words, the translations and what they can bring into your life. Decide how many days you are willing to commit to this practice (times and days explained below).
There are 84 meridian points on the roof of the mouth which the tongue stimulates those meridian points, and they in turn stimulate the hypothalamus which makes the pineal gland radiate. When the pineal gland radiates, it creates an impulse in the pituitary gland. When the pituitary gland gives impulses, the entire glandular system secretes and a human being obtains bliss. This is the science.
Kundalini Yoga Mantras are chanted in a special language, Gurmukhi, that connects us with the inner sound current. The words 'guru-mukh literally mean "from the mouth of the guru". While "Gurmukhi" is spoken, it is a poetic rendering, written in a script intended for spiritual writings. Chanting a mantra is also considered a meditation and can include a mudra (hand position), breathing in a certain way, and the sound of the words.
These mantras contain the vibrations of peace, prosperity, connection, and many other qualities and are understood by their impact, even if the meaning of each word is not known. Pronunciation comes with repetition and by example. Understanding the meaning of the words adds another layer of effectiveness to chanting.
"Mantras are not small things, mantras have power. They are the mind vibration in relationship to the Cosmos. The science of mantra is based on the knowledge that sound is a form of energy having structure, power, and a definite predictable effect on the chakras and the human psyche." ~ Yogi Bhajan
- 3 minutes - affect the electromagnetic field, the circulation and stability of the blood
- 7 minutes - Brain patterns begin to shift and the magnetic field surrounding the body increases in strength
- 11 minutes - begins to change the nerves and the glandular system
- 22 minutes - the 3 minds balance and begin to work together, The subconscious mind begins to clear
- 31 minutes - allows the glands, breath, and concentration to affect all the cells and rhythms of the body. Endocrine secretions are completely balanced
- 62 minutes - Stimulates the frontal lobe of the brain; pituitary and pineal glands. You work through the physical body, the emotions and mental states and are then in communication with aspects of the Divine within yourself.
- 2 1/2 hours - changes the psyche in its co-relation with the surrounding magnetic field so that the subconscious mind is held firmly in the new pattern by the surrounding universal mind. You totally remake your psyche
Chanting Mantras Daily:
- It takes 40 days to change a habit.
- It takes 90 days to confirm the habit.
- In 120 days the new habit is who you are.
- In a 1,000 days you have mastered the new habit.
You can listen to some Kundalini yoga mantra on You Tube, Spotify, Pandora and if you like them, you can purchase and download them from iTunes and Spirit Voyage.
Some of my favorite Kundalini Mantra artists are: Snatam Kaur, Nirinjan Kaur, Simrit Kaur, Ajeet Kaur, Simrit Kaur, Jai Jagdeesh, White Sun, Mirabai Ceiba, Paloma Devi, Aykanna, Gurunam Singh, Sada Sat Kaur, Krishan.
You can look up the words to the mantras and their meanings on the Spirit Voyage Mantrapedia page.
I would like to find some time to start posting Mantra Mondays where I feature a mantra, it's meaning, what it can be used for along with some videos of the mantra. Stay tuned!
Here is a great article about Sound and Mantra on Spirit Voyage.
Simrit talking about chanting mantra: